A STUDY OF 1 CORINTHIANS (Lesson Eight)
Submission, Hair And Head Covering (Part Three)
1 Corinthians 11:2-16 (847)
A. The man and the woman are one in that they are equally human, and they should be
one in their acceptance of their different roles.
B. Paul instructed the man to wear short hair and the woman to wear long hair.
C. We have looked at three views as to why Paul gave instruction about the head
covering: 1) because it was a church custom for public worship, 2) because it was
a social custom off their society and time, and 3) Paul gave instruction regarding
praying and prophesying.
IV. Are Christian women commanded to wear a head covering during public worship?
A. View one. A few considerations:
1. It seems that Paul wasn’t referring to public worship in this passage.
a. Look at preceding verses and passage.
b. Look at Vv17-20
c. Paul gave these instructions in 1 Corinthians 11:5-6 and these instructions in
1 Corinthians 14:34-35 to the same Church.
B. View two.
1. In America we have different customs. Consider 1 Corinthians 16:20.
C. View three.
1. If Paul referred to a spiritual gift, they have ceased. 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 (849)
2. 1 Corinthians 11:10. What about the women who didn’t have the gift of praying
Women, I think, are not required to wear a head covering during public worship today.
1) It wasn’t a church custom.
2) It was a social custom and we don’t have the same customs.
3) If Paul gave instructions about praying and prophesying (spiritual gift), it has ceased.