A STUDY OF 1 CORINTHIANS (Lesson Four)
Building On The Foundation of God’s Building (Part One)
1 Corinthians 3:4-17 (842)
A. The fact that the Corinthians were divided over preachers demonstrated their
B. Paul explained that there was no reason for division over preachers.
I. Paul and Apollos, as ministers, had a part in helping the church in Corinth.
A. The apostle Paul established the church and Apollos followed him to further
develop the church.
1. Paul used an agricultural metaphor. He planted (the seed) and Apollos watered.
2. These were men through whom God worked (vv6b,7b) and God should have
received the praises.
B. Ministers should be appreciated for their teaching and service to God, but they should
not be exalted to the degree of being above the other Christians. Examples:
1. With special titles: Rabbi, Pope. Let’s ask Jesus: Matthew 23:1,8,9 (723).
Reverend. Psalm 111:9 (473) Reverend refers to God.
2. There are churches who identify those who serve as ministers as clergy and those
who have not been so trained as laity.
C. Present day ministers should have the attitude Paul had. V5
II. Ministers will be held accountable for their teaching. Vv9-11
A. Paul changed to a construction metaphor, the building, and referred to himself as a
wise master builder. Vv9c,10b
1. Paul laid the foundation in Corinth and others built on that foundation. V10
2. There is one foundation: 1 Cor. 3:11; Isaiah 28:16; 1 Cor. 1:30:2:2.
That one foundation is Christ.
3. There is one building (Church); Matthew 16:13-19 (717); Acts 2:47b (802)
Closing: 1) Review 2) Acts 2:36-41,47 (802)