A STUDY OF 1 CORINTHIANS (Lesson Six)
Teaching Related To Marriage
1 Corinthians 7-Selected Passages
A. The apostle Paul responded to questions from the Corinthian church. V1
B. He had been asked questions about marriage.
I. In verses 10-11, Paul gave a command from the Lord relating to marriage.
A. What is the command?
1. “A wife is not to depart from her husband” V10b
2. If she does, she is to remain unmarried or be reconciled. V11, V39a
3. The same applies to the husband. V11c
B. Paul might have been asked if a husband and wife were permitted to divorce. His answer
1. Our Lord taught the following about divorce in Matthew 19:3-9 (719). Except for sexual
a. Two views of commits adultery: 1)The breaking of the vow.
Matthew 19:9 from Tyndale’s Bible
2) Physical adultery. See also Malachi 2:13-16 (798)
II. Paul must have been asked if a believer was permitted to divorce his/her unbelieving spouse?
A. Answer in Vv12-13 ________.
B. Additional comments.
1. God recognizes the marriage to be legitimate or sanctified and the children to be legitimate.
2. If the unbeliever departs, let him depart. V15a
3. “Is not under bondage” V15. Three views:_____________________________________
4. Believer and unbeliever are to remain married. Vv17-24
5. Under present conditions, Paul instructed in Vv26-28
III. Verse 39- “Only in the Lord.” Two views: 1) Only marry a Christian. See Ephesians 6:1 (866)
2) In keeping with God’s law.
Closing: 1) A few comments. 2) 2 Corinthians 5:9-11 (854)