THE DESIGN OF THE LORD’S CHURCH
A. When Jesus met with His disciples in Caesarea Philippi, He promised to build His
church. Matthew 16:13-19 (717)
1. Jesus promised to build His church on the fact that He is the Christ, the Son of
2. Jesus gave the apostles the authority to open the doors of the kingdom of heaven,
which is the church. Vv18-19
B. Let’s look at three functions of the design of the church.
I. The church was designed to teach salvation.
A. The sinner has the need to:
1. know the truth. John 8:32 (787)
2. believe and obey the truth. Romans 6:16-18 (833); Romans 6:3-7
B. The truth of salvation depends on the church to teach and defend it. Mark 16:15-16
748); Galatians 1:6-12 (859)
II. The church was designed to constitute the saved.
A. The sinner needs salvation. Romans 3:23 (831); Romans 6:23a (833)
B. The saved are in the church.
1. The church is God’s family. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 (855
2. The saved are added to the church. Acts 2:47 (802)
3. Those who have been baptized into Christ have been baptized into the
4. Jesus is the Savior of the church. Ephesians 5:23,25 (866)
III. The church was designed to demonstrate salvation.
A. The church was created for good works. Ephesians 2:8-10 (864)
B. The church is to live acceptable faith. James 2:14-17 (892)
C. The church is to reflect Christ and bring glory to God. Matthew 5:13-16 (705)
Conclusion: 1) The church was purchased with the blood of Christ (Acts 20:28,p821). 2)Review