THE DISCOURSE ON THE MOUNT OF OLIVES (Lesson one)
Prophecy Regarding The Destruction Of The Temple
Matthew 24:1-28 (724); Also Mark 13:1-23; Luke 21:5-24
A. Jesus delivered this discourse the week of His crucifixion.
B. There are several views of interpretation. Examples:
C. Mattthew 24:1-3
I. Verse 3
A. Two views regarding the number of questions: 1) two; 2) three.
1. My understanding is that the four apostles asked Jesus about the
destruction of the temple (Vv1-2) and His return (John 16:7,16 (795).
B. First question: V3a _____________________________________________
1. The temple was being renovated by Herod the Great. Was completed
in 64 AD.
2. Jesus had talked with scribes, Pharisees and hypocrites. Matt. 23:29-39.
3. Jesus made comments about the temple to His disciples. V2
C. As He sat on the Mount of Olives, Peter, Andrew, James and John asked
II. Jesus responded with His prophecy. VV4-28
military conflicts. V7
natural disasters. Vv7-8
other signs. Vv11-13
Gospel preached to all world. V14; Colossians 1:5,6,23 (870)
abomination of desolation. V15; Daniel 9:26-27 (660); Dan. 11:31; Lk.21:20
B. What were the people to do? Luke 21:20-24 (774); Matthew 24:15-22
C. Remember that four of the apostles asked Jesus about His return?
1. It would not _________ at the destruction of the temple. Vv23-28.
2. The coming of Jesus will be like a ________ of lightening across the sky.