THE HOLY SRIRIT (Lesson Nine)
What The Spirit Does For Christians (Part One)
A. The Spirit never leads us in any way contrary to the word or our free moral agency.
B. We must cooperate and comply with the Spirit to receive His assistance.
VI. Let’s focus on what the Holy Spirit does for Christians.
A. The law of the Spirit of life in Christ has __________ us free from the law of sin
1. The law of sin and death started in the Garden of Eden (Gen. 2:16-17; Gen. 3:6-7)
and has applied to humans through the years. Roman 3:23 (831); Rm. 6:23; Hebs.
2. The law of the Spirit gives eternal life. Romans 8:1-4 (834)
B. The Holy Spirit sanctifies Christians. Sanctify means to set apart for God’s use.
1. The Spirit operates in conjunction with the word (2 Thess. 2:13-14, p875), sets us
apart for God’s ____________ (Romans 15:14-16, p839) and enables us in our
Christian living (Titus 3:4-7, p882)
2. The process of sanctification is on-going until we die and we will have complete
sanctification in eternity. Ephesians 1:3-4 (863)
C. The Holy Spirit bears _______ that we are God’s children. 1 Corinthians 2:9-12 (842
Acts 2:38-39 (802); Romans 8:12-18 (834) 1. Witness to our salvation and faithful
D. The Spirit pours the ________ of God into our hearts. Romans 5:5 (832)
1. By His influence. Galatians 5:22-23 (862) fruit of Spirit
E. The Holy Spirit strengthens the inner “man.” Ephesians 3:16 (864). Examples:
F. The Spirit __________ Christians. Illustration: In ancient world a letter was sealed
by pressing a signet ring into wax that had been applied to show authenticity and
Ephesians 1:13-14 (863); Ephesians 4:30 (865). The seal of the Spirit means that our
salvation is genuine, that we belong to God and that we have the promise of our
G. The Spirit is a guarantee (deposit or _____________) of our inheritance. Eph. 1:13-14
(963); 2 Corinthians 5:5 (854) Illustration:
1. The Spirit given to us by our Heavenly Father is His assurance that as His children
we will enjoy the blessings and privileges of eternity.
H. The Spirit leads Christians. Romans 8:9-14 (834)
1. Not through feelings, visions, dreams or any miraculous way. But through the word
and His indwelling. Ephesians 6:17 (866); Ephesians 3:16,20
2. Enables us: Romans 8:5-16
Closing: Review and invitation